10 August 2014

From Mountains to Beaches

We are having an awesome time travelling around France, living out of my car and staying in a tent. It was our last full day in France yesterday as we moved on to Spain this morning. Here are some of the highlights of our trip so far...

Lakes in Limousin
We didn't realise quite how many lakes there are in France and how many people holiday near them rather than the coast. We camped right next to a few but my favourite was in St Mathieu, south west of Limoges. We relaxed in the sunshine, rented a pedalo, paddled in the lake and walked all the way around. There was a 'green gym' along the path which was good fun to play on as we went.


La cité des insectes
As I am interested in all sorts of creepy crawlies it was a MUST to visit here. In the absolute middle of nowhere we visited this awesome bug museum. Ryan enjoyed taking photos of the butterflies and bees in the gardens but felt a little squeamish at the indoor collection! 


Gorges du Tarn
Our journey here was definitely a fun one! Even if I did hold my breath as Ryan took the sharp bends next to sudden drops. It was very busy in St Enimie where we just about managed to get a pitch for our tent! The first 'touristy' stop of our trip was full to the brim of people wanting to canoe or kayak down the Tarn. We rented a canoe for €36 and managed a 12km trip together, only going backwards a handful of times.

Avignon
When I was at university doing my teaching degree, I had to organise a Frennch day in a school. One of my activites was to learn the song 'Sur le pont Avignon' and create a traditional dance to go with it. I have often burst into my own rendition of the song over the years so I obviously jumped at the chance to visit. Sur le pont Avignon (on the bridge of Avignon)...


Aix en Provence
My French cousin Claire lives in Aix en Provence in the beautiful sunshine. She had baby Jules back in February so we had plenty of excuses to go and visit! We  arrived in Aix en Provence on Saturday and soon found the food markets for Ryan to peruse. We spent a couple of hours walking the many streets before meeting Claire, Alex and Jules who took us back to their house for a barbeque.


Sunday was spent on the beach, relaxing and having a personal tour of Marseille. The Galerie de la Méditerrané was very picturesque! After a dinner full of crépes and a good nights sleep, we left feeling very refreshed for our journey into Spain. Thank you very much for having us Claire, Alex and Jules, we had lots of fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment